Type Of Medications: Atorvastatin (Lipitor), Fluvastatin (Lescol), Lovastatin (Mevacor), Pravastatin (Pravachol), Rosuvastatin(Crestor), Simvastatin (Zocor)
• Remember: These medicines are not a substitute for a heart healthy diet! They are only about half as effective on a high saturated fat diet.
• If you are taking only one pill each day, it is usually most effective if you take it in the evening, with your meal or at bedtime.
• Treatment is usually long-term. When your cholesterol reaches a healthy level, you will still need to take your medication. If you stop taking it, your cholesterol will rise again.
• Do not drink more than 8 oz. of grapefruit juice within 8 hours of taking a statin medication.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS:
Side effects with this medication are rare—less than 3 out of 100 people taking these medications will have any of these side effects. However, if you experience any of these symptoms, report them to your doctor.
• Severe muscle soreness or weakness (rare)
• Nausea or abdominal discomfort
• Liver irritation (uncommon)
• General fatigue (tiredness)
• Liver function tests will be checked at 6 weeks after beginning or changing therapy and then yearly.